In act 2 I believe that Proctor has a Gold personality. The traits of a Gold personality are need of belonging through a share of the work, loyalty and faithfulness. In the beginning of the act Proctor comes home after working in the fields all day. “The farms a continent when you go foot by foot droppin’ seeds in it. (Miller 51)” I think that Proctor was trying to convey that he really cared about his family and was hoping that his wife would notice the time and effort he put into the land. One of the other characteristics of a Gold personality is faithfulness. Proctor displays his devotion to his wife when she accuses him of having an affair with Abigail. Proctor says, “…I have not moved from there to there without I think to please you…(Miller 54)” Right now Proctor is obviously frustrated that Elizabeth would make such an accusation, but he is still trying to prove his loyalty to Elizabeth.
Elizabeth is another interesting character in the book. I think that she has display the qualities of a Green and Blue personalities. Green personality uses facts to prove things and to win arguments. Blue personalities are somewhat emotional; they have a relaxed sensitivity, and have a sense of loyalty. She displays Blue characteristics because she wants to be loved and accepted by her husband. Elizabeth is trying to do things that will please Proctor. “I took great care, she’s tender? (Miller 50)” Here Elizabeth wants to make sure that proctor is happy by making sure that the rabbit is tender and letting him know that she took great care in preparing the food. She also displays qualities of a Green personality. When she accuses Proctor of having an affair with Abigail she uses her own facts. “I see what I see, John. (Miller 54)” Elizabeth is using the fact that she can tell the way that Proctor behaves when he is around Abigail. She wants to let him know that she cares about him and wants to make sure that he will not leave her. She is proving her loyalty to him and wants to let Proctor know that she still loves him.
I think that Marry Warren displays an Orange personality in this act. Orange personalities are outgoing, live in the present, and are free spirited. When she is told to go to bed by Proctor she lays down the law. “I’ll not be ordered to bed no more, Mr. Proctor! I am eighteen and a woman, however single! (Miller 60)” Here Mary Warren is trying to convey that she has grown up and can take care of herself. She does not want to be told what to do anymore. She also shows some Blue characteristics. She becomes very emotional when she is telling Proctor and Elizabeth about what had happened in Salem that day. “Goody Osburn-will hang! There is a shocked pause while she sobs. (Miller 56)” Sobbing is obviously different then simply crying. When she is sobbing it is almost uncontrollable and is a big display of emotion.
No comments:
Post a Comment