Monday, November 21, 2011

reflection- Franklin's virtues

I think that Franklin was very ingenious in his compilation of the thirteen virtues. He was a very ingenious man himself with many inventions like the library, the Franklin stove, and the bifocals. When Benjamin Franklin was making his list of virtues, I feel like he wanted to find things he felt he was struggling with and things he wanted to become proficient in. His thirteen virtues are temperance, silence, order, resolution, frugality, industry, justice, moderation, cleanliness, tranquility, chastity, and humility. I think that for a man as accomplished as Ben Franklin it would be very difficult to stay humble. He was an ambassador to France, a founding father, and an extremely inventive man. Even to realize that you need to practice humility is a big deal. Another aspect of his life that would be hard for him to follow is silence. I think that for any person silence would be hard to accomplish. I do not think I can remember a day that I have been silent for more than an hour or two, I am not counting sleeping. I am not a super talkative person, but it is still hard to be silent. Franklin says, “Speak not but what may benefit others or yourself; avoid trifling conversation. (Franklin 149)” What is a trifling conversation you may ask? I think a trifling conversation is any conversation that does not benefit your life or the lives of others in some significant way. I have never gone one day without trifling conversation because that’s who I am. I like to make jokes and have fun. It is almost a habit for me. Franklin says, “I concluded at length, that the mere speculative conviction, that it was our interest to be completely virtuous, was not sufficient to prevent our slipping; and that the contrary habits must be broken, and good ones acquired and established, before we can have any dependence on a steady, uniform rectitude of conduct. (Franklin 148)” So basically he is saying that in order to be able to follow the virtues completely and to the letter, you must break your old habits and replace them with the new virtues.

I think that it was almost inevitable for Franklin to not be changed by his virtues. He was following such a rigorous schedule of virtues, and doing his best to practice them that I think he had become a better person. I think that one of the main keys to his success was the chart that he had made. Every day he would mark down which he had followed, so when he did not do well on a virtue it was obvious for him to see. It would seem hard to believe that such a great and accomplished man could become a better person. He plays a major role in our nation history, but I guess that is why he is such a great historical person. He wanted to make himself a better person. He did not want to make himself more famous or become wealthier. He wanted to become a morally better person. If we all had that same attitude could you imagine what the world would be like? Could you imagine how different the world would be today?

No comments:

Post a Comment