2. There are so many causes, gains and losses in this book. I think the first would be the thing that caused Tom to go to jail was because he had killed someone. There are several losses in the book. The first would be the loss of the Joad’s home; another would be the loss of their dog, the cause of that would just be the stupidity of the animal. There are more complex examples however. The death of Grandpa, I think that his death was a combination of the stroke, but also the shock he was going through. He was forced to leave the home he had known all his life. Then there is the death of Grandma, this is most likely because she was in shock that her husband had died. The family looses Noah and Connie. I think they left because they were scared of what was going to happen and they didn’t want to deal with all of the family struggles anymore. Another thing they lost that I believe is important was their dignity. In Hoovervill they were treated with disrespect from the cops. That was the first time they had encountered it, but they had been warned before. Being poor caused the Joad family to face some tough decisions: such as should the children work, and how long could they stay in the nice government camp. In this whole book I can not see any gains in this book. It was a very sad and depressing book. I guess one thing that the Joad family could be happy about is that most of them were still together. One thing that strikes me though throughout the book there is very little grieving in the book. Whenever someone died, no one displayed emotion. Rose of Sharon was the only one who would cry about things, but most of them were miniscule and unimportant. I think if I lost my grandma and grandpa and my brother and my sister’s baby all in a period of a few months it would be unbearable.
No comments:
Post a Comment