9. One thing I want to respond to is the way Steinbeck portrays the organized church. He makes it seem like the church was not a good thing. I am not saying that everyone always has to agree with the church, or that they have to believe in God. However in most literature the church is played as a controlling, unintelligent organization that is good for nothing. I find it disturbing that people can be so numb to the way they are treating other people. I realize that he is making a statement against the church, but it is also disheartening when the church constantly gets bashed and dragged down by the media. Often times they only focus on the negatives of the church, or the churches that mess up. The religious woman in the government camp was not an accurate portrayal of a person of the church. There are not that many people who behave in such a harsh manner. Many people in the church are nice and willing to help a person in need, but that’s not everyone. There are hypocrites in the church. And there are people in the church who think they are above everyone else. I am hoping that I can be someone who will change the way that people think about the church and the people in them. Often the world view of the church is diluted. The people who consume the literature and media don not get a good picture of the church and the people who are associated with it. Steinbeck may have never even been associated with anyone in the church. So if you never get an accurate description of something, and you tell someone else about it you are lying to them. It is just frustrating that the church is never given any justice in literature. So I am going to do my best to change many peoples view of not just the church, but religion itself.
No comments:
Post a Comment