Sunday, August 21, 2011

Old Man and the Sea and question 8.

8. This book did very well on being historically accurate. Ernest Hemingway did well covering the baseball scene in America at that time. The great players like DiMaggio and Gonzalez. I think that Ernest Hemingway wanted us to realize the responsibility we have to ourselves. In the book Santiago always did his best in what he did. He always made the best of every situation. There were times in the book when the Old Man was down on his luck. Even in these situations Santiago would do his best to stay positive. I really think that is why Ernest Hemingway wanted to show us that we owe it to ourselves to do our best. When we do not do our best its like we do not want the best for ourselves. I think that is what the author wanted to realize the responsibility we have to ourselves to do our best all the time. Santiago was the perfect example of this idea. He did his best no matter what. Some things that my have influenced him were the stories he had heard from fisherman and other people. He may have experienced it himself, but I think that he most likely used stories he had heard and read about. Using the information he had gained the then put the story together; an inspirational story about a poor fisherman in Cuba. He always does his best and tries to get a fish everyday. He is down on his luck however and does not usually catch anything. In the book the stories that he had heard and the things he had read about were the things that had influenced him the most. So when he wrote this book I think that he used some truth mixed with some fiction. He had such a good imagination that he developed a good story with little influence from outside sources. I think he did an excellent job with such little influence.

No comments:

Post a Comment