7. I think that Steinbeck kept the reader engaged by giving the reader challenging things to think about. Many times Casy would give long “speeches” about his religion and his time as a preacher. It made me think about my religion and I had a tough time thinking about some of the things he brought up. Many times I read on to see if there was an answer to some of the questions Casy brought up. Even though I did not agree with almost all of the answers that were given, it was interesting to get a different perspective on the subject. The author also used mystery to keep the reader engaged. He would end a chapter after setting up an interesting scene. Often times it would be action and adventure that he would leave off on. I found myself almost being forced to read on because the story was so interesting. Most of the time however I did not feel engaged in the book. At some points the story was boring to me, and it became very flat. Towards the beginning of the book it was uninteresting for me. At some points I felt there was too much dialogue, and at others there was too little. When there was a lot of description of the details in the book, I lost a lot of interest. For me a good book will have a lot of action and adventure. I am not saying that dialogue is bad, but at some points I felt like it was not crucial to the book. It seemed as if he was just trying to fill space in the book. The book only seemed to pick up the last two hundred pages or so. Until then the book seemed to drag on. But once the booked picked up it was easy for me to read. There was action evenly balanced with dialogue and description. It was as if someone cut a weight off a runner and all the sudden the pace quickened.
No comments:
Post a Comment